So here is my first ever weaving project on the rigid heddle loom!!!
The warp! I strung it around the back bar, and then alllllll the way from the dining room table, looped around a chair back in the living room! I didn’t want to make it too very wide until I figure it all out, and this was a good size sample to try. For one, the cotton I chose was just a wee little too thick. Not too thick that, with a little patients, I could make it work though. But for the next project I have gotten the right kind of cotton thread for the warp! Yaaayy!
Then you wrap it up with a piece of paper in between, so the threads don’t knot into one another while the tension is tight. I didn’t have any brown paper bags handy, but I did have a couple of nice big sheets of that brown paper they use for packing when you order stuff from Amazon. Usually I save it and flat it out for the kiddo’s to draw on, but it works really well for this also!
Here it is all wrapped on, and every other thread put through an eyelet on the reed, and then tied to the front rod! All of this took about three to four hours. Then we get to weaving!
So as I wove, first I came across a thread that lost one of it’s plies, and it was starting to gob up in the reed, so I had to stop using the reed to pack with, and started using the pick up stick to pack with. Then I came across a knot in the thread. Grrrrr! Got that handled, but it caused a thread to be loose for the rest of the weaving. So every time I put the reed up, or down, I would pull this thread to keep it tight. Some would say I have the patients of a saint! 😛 I did get a weaving book recently though, and one of the chapters is about how to deal with just this kind of thing, so I’m hoping my next weaving goes much much smoother!!!
And here’s a picture just as I was doing the last foot or so of cloth! My family gathered round, and we’re cheering me on as I had done about three to four hours of weaving yesterday to finish this project up! (not really. they were all just gathered round waiting for me to get this off the kitchen table, so we could have supper. blah)
And here it is in all it’s glory!!! Eight foot-two inches long, by one foot wide! At the beginning you can see I did some white stripes across, just to be a little fanciful, but I quickly stopped doing that after having that trouble with the warp threads. Then it just became a thing of, ‘I am ~not~ wasting a cone of yarn!’, and I wanted to get this thing done! So I stopped the stripes til my next adventure!!!
All totaled it took about four hours to set up, and around nine hours of weaving time! Not too shabby! I think I’ll cut the beginning striped part off for a mat for the table, and then I’ll used the other five to six feet as a scarf for a bit. I might end up cutting it into sections, and making draw string bags out of it. My kiddo’s seem to think it will make an excellent Matchbox raceway. :rolls eyes: For now, it’s just hanging around looking pretty! 🙂